THE PRESCRIBING COURSE
Safe Opioid Prescribing for Chronic Non-Cancer Pain
December 9, 2017
8:00am - 5:00pm
The Westin Nova Scotia
Are you a FAMILY PHYSICIAN, NURSE PRACTITIONER, DENTIST or PHARMACIST struggling with repeated requests for early opioid refills, larger amounts or higher doses? Are you increasingly concerned for your safety, or that of your staff or patients? Then this course is for you.
The Prescribing Course: Safe Opioid Prescribing for Chronic Non–Cancer Pain is a one day course covering opioid prescribing from assessment to tapering. Developed with support from the Nova Scotia Department of Health and Wellness, the course is a one-day, small group, interdisciplinary program of case based education with brief lectures highlighting major learning points.
By taking this course, you will gain crucial knowledge necessary to prescribe or dispense these medications safely. You will learn about the following key topics:
- Pain and Opioid risk assessment
- Conducting an opioid trial
- Monitoring opioid use including interpretation of urine drug testing
- Identification and management of aberrant behaviors
- Management of opioid side effects
- The adopted patient on opioid therapy
- Prescribing for patients who travel
- Maintaining boundaries
- Quick reference guide and tools for everyday use
All attendees receive a hard copy and electronic course manual with user-friendly “how to” information designed for daily use. Each course will be limited to a minimum of 20 and maximum of 50 participants.
This Group Learning program has been certified by the College of Family Physicians of Canada and the Nova Scotia Chapter for up to 6.5 Mainpro+ credits. This program has been accredited for a Maximum of 6.5 CEUs (1 CEU/hr) by Continuing Pharmacy Education, College of Pharmacy, Dalhousie University
Comments from past attendees:
"The course offered the opportunity for inter-professional collaboration...and the format was excellent!"
"As a new prescriber, the course and group work helped to build my knowledge and confidence."
Payment and Registration:
Please provide payment:
1. By email transfer to email@example.com.
2. By cheque to BlueSmartie Consulting, 1658 Oxford Street, Halifax, NS, B3H 3Z4.
3. Using the Buy Now Paypal buttons directly under the pricing information.
Please make sure to fill in the registration form after you make your payment.
Physicians $450+HST ($517.50)
Dentists $450+HST ($517.50)
Pharmacists and Nurse Practitioners $350+HST ($402.50)
Students $225+HST ($258.75)
Lunch and two coffee breaks will be provided.